Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rest in Peace John Hughes


Film director John Hughes, who brought us such classics as The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off has passed away this week at just 59.
I'm still working my way through Mr. Hughes' films. So far, of his high school movies, I've only seen Ferris and Pretty in Pink, but the humor, intelligence and pathos of Mr. Hughes' work struck me to the point that both movies now sit on my DVD shelf. Growing up I've also watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles (a hilarious and touching odd-couple), Beethoven (great big dog), Home Alone (still a childhood favorite) and 101 Dalmations (the live-action version; great fun). I have yet to get through all of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies, but Christmas Vacation is one of my absolute favorite holiday films. I've been meaning to see The Breakfast Club for some time now, but considering how highly regarded it is for both teens of the 80s and teens today it will be a film worth seeing. Readers, what John Hughes movies have you seen, and are you able to name a favorite?
Mr. Hughes, you will be missed. Thanks for making movies people of any age and any era can watch and relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment