Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My profile picture and what it has to do with Mad Men

Some of you may be wondering about my profile picture. Am I some kind of artist on the side? I wish. My latest issue of Entertainment Weekly (see their link on the left) provided a tip on a neat feature found on AMC's website for their show Mad Men, which in turn led to that little retro number you see on my screen.
I confess I have yet to see Mad Men. It has been highly praised by critics and the Emmys, but last I checked this drama about advertising execs in the 60s was still trying to find it's audience, and I'm still trying to find where it airs in Canada. But, given the chance to redesign myself as a classy 60s woman, as the show's website allows you to do, I jumped at it
The game is very easy to use, but because it gives you so many options to choose from to create your new look it also requires a lot of thought. First you have to decide of you're a "suit" or a "skirt" (not overly PC, but true to the time period). Then you select a body and skin type; trying to stick close to myself I went with pale skin and with the medium body shape. The thin body shape was way too thin and real women have curves, gosh darn it! You're then able to choose your hair color and style, your eyes, your nose (not too many flattering options in that category I must admit), your eyebrows and your mouth (cigarette optional). The best part was choosing the clothes and accessories, all great classic styles. What to wear, what to wear? I ended up choosing the fiery red dress with black gloves, pearls and a doughnut (What? I like doughnuts!). Finish off by choosing a background and then you can download your creation as a picture or as wallpaper.
It's a great feature, and I totally recommend it. You never know, you may be a closeted advertising exec from another decade. As EW says, you'll be 50% cooler. Go try it at amctv.com.

1 comment:

  1. I just started watching Mad Men (Season 1) on DVD this week, 3 episodes in and I'm hooked. I recommend you find it at the library or at a DVD rental shop, it's worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete