Friday, August 14, 2009

Plenty of love for the Undead, but what about Spike?


Imagine my excitement when my August 7th issue of Entertainment Weekly was waiting for me in my mailbox after a tough day at the library. Right on the cover, up top, in big bold white type was the word "Vampires". Eeeeh! (I shrieked excitedly, hoping the neighbours didn't hear) Not only did this issue discuss the most current vampire craze with interviews from popular vampire writers, there was also a list of their choices of the the 20 Greatest Vampires of All Time! Happiness...overload...

I've been a fan of bloodsuckers for...well, forever. They've always been my favorite movie/book/TV show monster with their effortless sexuality, rich mythology and bad-boy-hiding-tortured-soul archetype. And boy howdy are they hot at the moment. With the Twilight series still discussed ad nauseum (I still take requests for it at the reference desk), the show True Blood heating up HBO and more vampire projects coming out of the woodwork the undead have staked a firm claim in pop culture right now.

So as happy as I was to see this issue, there was one colossal error that I must address. Their list of the 20 greatest vamps was really good, with mentions going out to some obvious picks like Edward Cullen and Dracula (four different film versions of him actually), newer selections like Bill and Eric from True Blood (which I haven't seen yet, but there's much debate over which of the two is hotter, and I gotta go with Eric right now) and others both famous and more obscure. Their pick of Lestat from The Vampire Chronicles as number one surprised me, but I decided their reasoning was sound.

But there was, to me, one gaping absence from the list. No Spike. No Spike? Spike, one of my favorite reasons to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and then the last season of Angel did not make the list at all? Angel was number 7, but no Spike? Come on! Not only was he gorgeous with his bleach blond hair, cocky sneer, British accent and trademark black duster he was one of the most complex and fully rounded characters on the show. Who else can you name, vampire or otherwise, who could go from timid poet to punk bad ass, from big bad to comic relief, from villain to hero, soulless killer to soulful lover, all within the run of the series and still stay believable and remain a fan favorite? Not many, that's for sure.

Ah well, you can't win them all. Maybe he was number 21. But I've said my peace, and we can all move on. That's one big reason to have a blog in the first place. Any favorite vampires you hoped made the list? And does anyone agree with me that Spike deserved more love?

No comments:

Post a Comment