Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My ipod Top 10


There is no way I can properly emphasize how much I love my ipod Nano. Seriously, it cannot be done. Over 1400 songs, music videos, TV shows, audio books, podcasts, it's green color, the special Harry Potter engraving on the back my mom and dad put on it when they gave it to me for Christmas last year. Love it. It's completely me.

A while back I read an article by Stephen King about the most played songs on his ipod. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to check my listings last night and see which songs got the most play, and I was surprised by the results. So in case anyone is looking for new music suggestions, here are the top 10 most played songs on my ipod.

1. "Let it Rock" by Kevin Rudolf featuring Lil Wayne: At a whopping 58 plays and counting this is the clear winner. To me, it provides a jolt that just makes you want to march out onto a stage in front of thousands of people. (See the video on YouTube here.)

2. "Fruit Machine" by the Ting Tings: A fun, quirky number with a thumping base line, funky keyboards and a great guitar solo. What more could you want?

3. "Jingle Jangle" by the Archies: The kind of song you play on a sunny day when you're just feeling happy with the world (though I recently found out that the 'female' parts on the chorus were actually sung by the male lead singer. Wouldn't have ever known.) You can find the original 1969 cartoon music video here.

4. "Girlfriend" by the Darkness: A joyful burst of a song. I dare you to put it on and not start running and dancing all over the place like a crazy person. Speaking of crazy, how about Justin Hawkins' vocals? He hits high notes I can't and I'm a girl! (Click here for the video)

5. "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" by the Pet Shop Boys: A very catchy, moody, effortlessly cool number. British New Wave at it's finest.

6. "We Are Happy Landfill" by Gorillaz: Not many people know this track, as it was not featured on this virtual band's two studio albums but on their D-Sides. This song is what happens when you mix hard driving rock with circus sound effects (trust me, it's so much cooler than it sounds. Listen to it here and see)

7. "Weeping" by Josh Groban featuring Ladysmith Black Mambazo: One of the main reasons I play this one so often is because I try to sing along to it while I'm practicing, which is very hard to do. Heartbreaking and powerful, beautifully sung by Groban et al.

8. "Ramalama (Bang Bang)" by Roisin Murphy: I saw a choreographed zombie dance to this song on a recent episode of So You Think You Can Dance? and I've been playing it almost nonstop ever since. One of the best drum beats I've ever heard. See the original SYTYCD performance from season 2 here.

9. "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" by Scissor Sisters: This has been a favorite of mine since grad school. You can check it out here. For a song about not dancing it is just so danceable. Plus Elton John provides the piano! Awesome.

10. "From the Stars" by White Lies: The White Lies music has been heavily influenced by big- sounding 80s bands like ABC (one of my all time favorites). This particular track lays a sad story over sweeping violins and hard driving guitars. Very haunting. Give it a listen here.

So a fairly eclectic mix here, but still all me.

If you have an ipod or an MP3 player I'd suggest taking a look at your most played songs. You may be surprised by the results. Feel free to post your findings here in the comment section. I'd love to see what makes your lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment