Friday, August 28, 2009

Fan Expo 2009 - Day 1

And so it has happened, at long last...my first sci fi convention.

But not just sci fi. Oh no, that would be too easy and too...generic for Fan Expo, the largest convention of it's kind in Canada, and one of the largest in the world. Not only sci fi, but also (hold onto your hats) horror, comics, manga and even gaming. In other words; total sensory overload.

I'd been looking forward to this for weeks. I'd never even heard about it before, and for the life of me I can't imagine why, until a colleague mentioned it one unassuming day at work. And I realized quickly that this is one of those things that I just couldn't put off to next year; I had to see it, be a part of it, asap. So tonight I and my roommate Andrea, who I wouldn't describe as a sci fi, horror, comic, manga or gaming geek but who was curious about the experience, hopped the subway to the Toronto Convention Center.

Once we found the right building, got our tickets in order and I got my deluxe pass badge, we found the main hall...and as soon as I set foot inside I couldn't stop myself from saying "Wow" out loud. There was just so much to see, far too much to describe here, but if you can envision vendors everywhere selling everything from comics to collectibles to t-shirts to DVDs to trading cards, as well as promotional booths for game demos, movie studios, and even a big display area for Tron: Legacy of all things, you'll start to get the idea.

I gotta admit when I first got to the main hall I wondered if I was in a little over my head. All I could see at first was manga and gaming, neither of which I'm too familiar with. But after a quick look at the show program we realized we were just in the wrong spot. The other genres were further on down. Once I found horror, comics and sci fi I was like "Oh yeah, all is right with the world", and the rest of the night was smooth sailing. Andrea got a Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital t-shirt (all House fans should get that reference, and if not then shame on you). I got my picture taken with True Blood vampires (I think I look pretty bad ass), scored a Supernatural tattoo, saw so many people walking around in costume I lost track of all the different characters and I got to see celebrities like Lou Ferrigno, Emma Caulfield, Beau Bridges, Linda Hamilton and Mary McDonnell in person! We were even able to take a break and watch Big Bang Theory, which they were screening in the Warner Brothers section on several television screens. Not bad for one evening.

I'll be going back on Sunday, and I'm hoping to look around some more, participate in a panel discussion and/or demonstration and generally get my geek on. My main goal however will be to get Bruce Campbell's autograph! I've already picked up the ticket tonight, and apparently they've been selling like hot cakes. (Though when I told the guy behind the counter that I already had something for Mr. Campbell to sign he asked point blank, trying to be funny, "It's not your boob is it?" A class act all the way. Andrea informed him that I had to leave something to the imagination.)

People, a giant leap has been made in my pop culture identity. Now I can officially say that I've been to a convention. Check that off the list.

Keep your eyes open for my post on Day 2. In the mean time take a look at the pictures I've included here; more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment