Sunday, August 1, 2010

Album Review: Night Work


Allow me to clarify something real quick. The album cover you see here is not the cover for the new Scissor Sisters album Night Work. It is in fact the cover for the first single off that album, "Fire with Fire". The reason for the switch? The cover for Night Work is basically some guys butt. Literally, someone's butt. I really didn't feel like posting that on my blog, thank you very much. A pair of legs seemed a better alternative.

Well, now that my guilty conscience has been expunged, the Scissor Sisters are back! Yay! Their two previous albums have turned me into a big fan, so I was happy to get my hands on their latest work. Boy, was it worth the wait. Night Work is a genre mashing ode to the night club scene, giving the listener a strong sense of the New York underground clubs. There's a lot of 80s influence here, from New Wave to dance to rock and hair bands. But there's some 70s sound thrown in too, a real Bee Gees/Disco feel. The whole thing is sexy, danceable and even a little dark, giving it a nice edge.

Some standouts include the uplifting first single, the sexy "Whole New Way", "Any Which Way" and "Harder You Get" and the perfect jogging song "Running Out".

So totally recommendable. Shame about that album cover, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment