Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stylo video released


My main reaction to the new music video from Gorillaz could best be summed up in seven words: "Oh my God, is that Bruce Willis!?" Turns out it is him. How cool is that?
Otherwise I kind of felt like Homer did during a flashback episode of The Simpsons when he was watching an episode of Twin Peaks. "Brilliant! I have absolutely no idea what's going on."

It's a high-paced, car chase of a video, similar in vein to the virtual band's earlier offering for "19-2000". Except this time, where most of their past videos are either traditionally animated or a combination of traditional animation and live-action, "Stylo" features a mix of live-action and computer animation, which I believe is the first time that's happened in their music videos (I have most of their previous videos on my iPod, so I've had a chance to look). The results look great, and gives "Stylo" more of a cinematic feel. Willis helps with that too.

Otherwise though, I'm not sure what this is all about. Murdoc Niccals, 2D and the new android Noodle are driving down a desert road in a bullet-riddled roadster. They manage to avoid a rather inept police officer but are then hotly pursued by Willis' character who appears to be...I'm not sure, maybe a hit man or a bounty hunter or a cop? Beats the heck out of me.

I've been keeping track of Gorillaz news ever since I've heard of the new album, and there have been hints and allusions to the new storyline through interviews and video clips, but it's all been intentionally vague (at least I hope it's intentional). Some of the things that have been hinted to are further referenced in this video, like the creepy shadowy figure that rises out of the sand. But as the new album was, according to the current story-arc for the virtual characters, made on a plastic beach in the middle of the ocean I don't know what this whole high-speed chase is about. Keeping the beach in mind, however, the final scene does make a little sense.

If I've piqued your curiosity, take a look on YouTube and tell me what you think. Am I making too much out of this? Maybe, but I'm a big fan and I'm hoping that answers are coming, hopefully once the album's released on March 9th. Soon my pretties, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment