Monday, March 1, 2010

Movie Reveiw: Up in the Air


Take two on the Oscar front. I found a theatre still playing Up in the Air, and managed to squeeze it in. I'm a big time George Clooney fan, so that is reason enough to go check it out.

I was surprised how much I liked this movie, and how much it ended up resonating with me. Clooney plays Ryan Bingham, a man in constant motion, and who likes it that way, as he flies throughout the United States to fire people. He considers airports and airplanes his home, and is never in one place for very long. But things take a turn when he meets a fellow traveler (Vera Farminga) and mentors an uptight young go-getter (Anna Kendrick).

Clooney, Farminga and Kendrick are all up for actor Oscars, as well they should be. Based on what I had heard going in, I was convinced I wouldn't like Kendrick's character, Natalie. Boy was I wrong. She was adorable, even when she was being a bit of a hard-ass. Farminga's high flyer, Alex, is also likable and far deeper than she first appears. And Clooney's just...well, he's Clooney.

This movie is very relevant for in the current job market, when so many people in the states are loosing their jobs. That it manages to connect with the current climate while still keeping the characters and storyline intimate and relatable is a true feat, and it's not hard to see why it's up for Best Picture.

My Verdict: Go see it. It has a unique mix of humor and tragedy, which is rare for a lot of movies. And if that doesn't get you, then at least go for Clooney.

No comments:

Post a Comment