Sunday, March 28, 2010

Movie Review: How to Train Your Dragon


I'm trying not to wait so long to see movies I really want to see. Life is short, you know? With that in mind, I went to see How to Train Your Dragon in 3D today. Besides, there's a shortage of 3D screens and a whole lot of 3D movies coming out, so who knows how long you can see Dragon in 3D when Clash of the Titans opens this Friday. Not cool, I know, but theatres need time to get up to date (I heard once it costs over $100 000 to convert a theatre to 3D).

Anyway, the movie was awesome! It's been a while since I've seen a movie that I've liked this much. To find a film that balances fun, action, humor and heart to this degree is a rare thing. Though a bit of warning; a couple of scenes could potentially scare kids. When I was in the Cineplex many of the younger kids in the theatre were crying after a couple of the more hair-raising moments. Some parents seem to be under the impression that a kids movie is good for all kids. Not true. If you're not sure try a website like kids-in-mind. It'll help you make an informed decision.

Dragon also sports a great cast; I was most impressed with Jay Baruchel as Hiccup, a young Viking trying to find his place in his society, but ends up befriending a dragon, whom the Vikings have been fighting for ages. Baruchel really captured Hiccup's self-deprecating humor and intelligence. Other cast members included Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill and Kristen Wigg (though I have to ask; why do Vikings have American and Scottish accents?)

As I've said, this movie had a lot of heart. It's a coming of age story, and I really liked it's focus on compassion, understanding and acceptance. These are all wonderful lessons for kids and adults alike.

The dragons were really neat, too. They could go from scary to adorable pretty quickly. The dragon who befriends Hiccup, Toothless, looks almost catlike at times. There were very inventive breeds showcased; no one-note dragons here. Plus, the 3D makes it feel like you're flying with the dragons at times. Neato! But this would be a great movie in two or three dimensions.

My verdict: I've probably oversold it, but go see it! ASAP. Even if you can't see it in 3D, it'll still be worth your while.

No comments:

Post a Comment