Friday, March 19, 2010

Movie Review - Alice in Wonderland


Finally got around to seeing Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland; in 3D, natch. Would've seen it much sooner, but again, like my listening to Plastic Beach, life got in the way and things had to be put off.

Not at all disappointed though. Burton's remake/sequel is not only a fantastical romp but also a coming of age story, featuring perhaps the most unique way for a young lady to become an empowered woman ever. Without revealing too much, in this outing a nineteen year old Alice Kingsley (Mia Wasikowska, a fairly new actress on the scene and a revelation here) returns to Wonderland and is pulled into the citizens' battle against the notorious Red Queen (Helena Bonham-Carter).

My man Johnny plays the Mad Hatter, making Alice the seventh film in which Depp and Burton have collaborated. Funny enough I had expected Depp to play the Hatter as more quirky than actually insane. But the Hatter has quite a few moments of genuine mental instability. Not only do I applaud that, I'm kicking myself for thinking for even a moment that Depp would've played it safe in this kind of role, or any role. Shows what I know.

Anne Hathaway and the always creepy Crispin Glover help round out the principal actors appearing on screen. Representing several of Wonderland's citizens in voice-over are the likes of Michael Sheen, Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry and Christopher Lee. And I know I've sung the praises of digital 3D before, but it really cannot be overstressed. It makes the film look so amazing, even when things aren't jumping out at you.

Bit of a final point; loved the outfits Alice wore throughout the film. Victorian Punk. So cool. Total Oscar nom worthy.

My Verdict: Wonderland is a real wonder. Besides, anything where Burton and Depp can work together is welcome sight in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment