Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pop Culture Birthday Gifts


Before we get started, allow me to wish one and all a Happy Guy Fawkes day! If you're not familiar with the English holiday that's why God invented Wikipedia.

Anywho, yesterday was my birthday, and I'm not ashamed to say it was the big 28. And while I celebrated the mini achievement of lasting one more year on this planet the world of pop culture offered a few treats of its own these last few days to mark the occasion.

First up, I got to listen to Adam Lambert's new single "For Your Entertainment". Without overselling it I have to declare it was AWESOME! Just the kind of synth dance pop I expected from the true winner of last years season of American Idol. I cannot wait for his album to drop (November 24th people, mark our calendars). And even though public opinion is divided, I'm in the camp that really likes his album cover, pictured here. It's what you call 'cool retro'. Care to join the debate?

I downloaded the new Lady Gaga single, "Bad Romance". Another hit for Gaga, with a refreshing mix of nonsense lyrics, a hard bass line and a general sense of a fashion catwalk. Plus, the accompanying music video is visually stunning, a little sci fi and a lot absurdist, all in a good way (check it out here).

The Glee soundtrack came out. Pure bliss.

A couple of new DVDs now sit on my shelf; Flight of the Conchords: Season 2 and American Dad: Volume 3. And may I just say that neither show gets nearly as much credit as it deserves.

And finally, I have joined the gaming world by purchasing a Wii. Ever since acquiring one I've been attempting to conquer the sports featured on Wii Sports with great delight, though I recommend stretching ahead of time, because my shoulders were killing me the next day (yes I am that out of shape). I can't wait to try other games.

A fun birthday all around. Here's to another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment