Sunday, November 15, 2009

Christmas bells are ringing...waaaaay too early!


I watched my hometown's Santa Claus parade today, which for me is the official start of the holiday season. The only problem is that I seem to be behind the times in that regard.

I'm sure you've noticed this too, but it seems that as soon as Halloween was over and done with Christmas commercials began appearing on TV. Then all the consumer-related locations were decorated to the hilt. Even some places started playing holiday music (I hate that).

But one thing that I found really odd was the release of Disney's new digital 3D version of Dickens perennial holiday favorite A Christmas Carol, starring Jim Carrey...on November 6th.

Am I missing something here? It came out the weekend after Halloween, people! Does that not seem early to most of you? A film critic pointed out that most holiday movies are released the week of the American Thanksgiving. Why muck about with that?

It's not just with movies though. My library's region even had their Christmas parade on the 8th. I participated, because really how many opportunities do you get to be in a parade? But I could not shout out "Merry Christmas" while waving to people from the float, despite my coworker trying to coax me to do it. It just felt silly to be passing on seasons greetings in November.

Now don't get me wrong, I am no Grinch. Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year, no question. But I do not like two months of it. It's just too much. By the time December 25th actually comes around I almost feel sick of it if I've had too much exposure to it. I always have to pace myself, and I do not start with music or decorations until December. Besides, it almost feels like we don't even have a November anymore. November is a great month! It's melancholy and crisp, a last burst of fall before winter officially moves in.

I will go and see A Christmas Carol at some point, because it's my favorite Christmas story and this version is in 3D. But not yet. I may have to tape the upcoming Madagascar Christmas special too, because the 17th is still too early. It's all I can do to not join Scrooge and shout out "Bah, humbug!" Anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the early Christmas surge?

No comments:

Post a Comment