Friday, November 20, 2009

My new car, and other famous rides!


First off, sorry you haven't heard from me very often lately. Things have been mucho busy these last few weeks.

Part of the business has been the joyous experience that is car shopping (heavy dose of sarcasm there). But that all came to an end today! Yes ladies and gentlemen, I have a brand new car! A 2009 Honda Fit Sport. As much as I'm going to miss my little black 98 Toyota Tercel, which has served me faithfully for about eight years, I really love my new set of wheels. It's spacious, practical, fun and gorgeous. Look at that color! Plus it has an excellent sound system, perfect for listening to the latest tunes via radio, CD or iPod through an auxiliary jack. Al's moving on up in the world.

This whole process has got me thinking about cars in popular culture. And boy have there been a lot of them over the last few decades. A car in a movie or TV show can almost become another character. Depending on the make and model, cars can add an element of power, or sophistication, or just fun to the storyline and become an extension of the heroes. I'm sure many of you have your favorites examples, but a few of the hot wheels that I've enjoyed over the years are, in no particular order...

The 'Striped Tomato', otherwise known as the red and white Gran Torino from Starsky and Hutch (both the seventies TV show and the film adaptation). A car that's seen more high speed chases and police action than most marked cruisers could ever hope to.

Dean Winchester's black 1967 Chevrolet Impala from Supernatural. Also known at the 'Metallicar' by some fans, due to it's owners musical preferences, it's joined the Winchester brothers on all of their mystical, demon infested high jinks. This series couldn't be a road show without the reliable Impala.

James Bond's Aston Martin. Really, no car list is complete without this little number.

K.I.T.T. (Knight Industries Three Thousand). Yes, many hardcore Knight Rider fans are going to be mad at me for choosing this version of K.I.T.T. over the original in David Hasselhoff's series. But in spite of the critical panning I liked the 2008 update. Either way, in KR, the car actually is one of the main characters, thanks to artificial intelligence.

The General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. Yeeeeehaaaaaw!

The yellow Oldsmobile Delta 88 from every single Sam Raimi movie. This car has seen rampaging Deadites, spider loving superheroes and even old western shootouts. No wonder it's been nicknamed 'The Classic'.

The Mini Cooper, both classic and new, from The Italian Job. Due to it's size and speed, it has been proven to be the perfect car for a heist. Plus it's just a classic, urban English car. It's just cool.
So there's a short list, though there are many more out there. Perhaps someone, somewhere, will make the Honda Fit a classic car. In the mean time, it will be a classic to me, and yet another step in the road to adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment