Monday, October 19, 2009

True Blood: Love at First Bite!


Last week I finished the first season of True Blood, the hit HBO show inspired by Charlene Harrís' Southern Vampires series of books, on DVDs I borrowed from my library. I have two words for you...me likey!

For those of you unfamiliar with the show, allow me to paint a picture for you. Imagine if you would, that vampires are real. Got that image in your head? Okay, now how would you react if they wanted to live out in the open? How would you feel about them having equal rights? Or if they interacted with your family and friends? Would you be able to accept that on any kind of level; intellectual, personal, moral or spiritual? Even if they had synthetic blood to drink would you really trust them not to eat you?

If you take those issues and package them in a sex, violence and drama filled soap opera, you essentially come up with True Blood. Set in Louisiana, the show centers around Sookie Stackhouse, a telepathic bar waitress who falls in love with Bill Compton, a vampire trying to 'mainstream' (live and interact with humans). Behind the religious and political issues surrounding vampires 'coming out of the coffin', the show gets a lot of soapy story lines from Sookie's friends and family. A show about intolerance and the supernatural with lots of sex and drama? So it would seem.

Plenty of action from the undead in question too. We get a privileged look at a vampire bar, Fangtasia (yes, bad pun, I know). We hear from some vamps who feel that coming out was a bad idea...mostly because they like drinking human blood. There's even a vampire trial. You see, these vampires come in all shapes and sizes, have their own system of government, their own rules, and their own law enforcement. Which, by that way, is where my man Eric comes in, the Nordic Adonis I've been dreaming of for some time now. And while I'm still on team Eric, I have to admit that Bill has his moments too. Watch the show and you'll know what I'm talking about.

From what I hear the second season is even crazier...and even better. Can't wait, but a very promising start in the meantime. I think this is how vampires should be portrayed, not all that sparkle nonsense. No offense to Twilight fans, but seriously, real vampires DON'T SPARKLE! Anyone agree with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment