Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Fizzers!


Ah, Thanksgiving (the real second-Monday-in-October Thanksgiving, not this phony baloney fourth-Thursday-in-November one ;). A time of family togetherness, a celebration of the fall season (0ne of my favorites) and counting our blessings.

Oh, who are we kidding? It's about the food! Turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, etc. You know I speak the truth.

What am I thankful for? So many things. The people in my life first and foremost, family and friends who love me and whom I love (awww, mushy). I'm thankful for my job, the roof over my head, my old car that still runs, my cat. To summarize, let me quote an old hippie song "Thank you Lord for thinking about me. I'm alive and doing fine." Amen.

But to keep in the same vein as this blog, I'm also thankful for TV shows with rich plots, great laughs and endearingly flawed characters. For movies with scope, vision and gravitas...and for digital 3D, which is just cool. For songs that can make you shake your booty and make you shed a tear. For books that keep you reading no matter how many pages long they are. For theatre that creates a shared experience with the audience. I could go on.

What are you thankful for dear readers? Feel free to post your thoughts. In the mean time, enjoy the turkey, and check out some of my favorite Thanksgiving TV specials (there aren't many I'm afraid, you'd think there'd be more).

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving: Peanuts specials almost always give me the warm fuzzies. In this installment you get a very unique Thanksgiving dinner with toast, pretzels and popcorn. Only Charlie Brown and Snoopy could come up with that.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer "Pangs": Buffy tries to have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with her nearest and dearest while fending off angry Native American spirits. One particular snippet of dialogue summarizes the holiday nicely.

Anya: I love a ritual sacrifice.

Buffy: It's not really one of those.

Anya: To commemorate a past event, you kill and eat an animal. It's a ritual sacrifice. With pie.

How I Met Your Mother "Slapsgiving": After a whole episode of anticipation, Barney gets slapped by Marshall. Points for adding non-supernatural violence to the holiday.

The Simpsons "Bart vs. Thanksgiving": This one always sticks in my mind, I think mainly for the realistic portrayal of Bart and Lisa, and the relationship between brothers and sisters...something I can relate to first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment