Friday, October 2, 2009

Toy Story is out in 3D, and I revert to childhood for 3 hours.


Today was the first day of a two week limited engagement of movie theatres screening both Toy Story movies in Disney Digital 3D. Guess where I was this afternoon.

I loved Toy Story when it came out in 1995. Even though I was 14 at the time and it was considered a kids movie, it became an instant favorite with me. Not only was it groundbreaking as the first fully computer animated feature-length movie but it was a funny, smart and touching buddy-comedy, with a great cast and Joss Whedon as one of it's writers; it was just...marvelous (contented sigh inserted here) It made you look at toys in a different way. The sequel came out in 1999, when I was 18, and some argue it was even better than the first one. I'm not going to weigh in on that, but personally I loved Toy Story 2 just as much as the first (plus in that movie there were Barbie dolls!).

And I really enjoyed revisiting both films today. It was great spending time again with Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Hamm, Bullseye, Bo Peep, Slinky, Mr. Potato Head, Rex, and all the other lovable characters. Plus, the 3D was eye-poppingly amazing. It made the footage look crisp and new again.

One woman a few rows down from me laughed far more often than her kids. You gotta love a movie that grown-ups and kids can both appreciate. Or, if you're like me, an adult who's just a big kid inside.
Don't forget: Toy Story 3 is out in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment