Saturday, October 24, 2009

Movie Review: Zombieland


I don't know if you've noticed, but in the entertainment world it seems it's all about vampires and zombies these days.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

One of the latest additions to the trend is Zombieland, a new zombie apocalypse movie that, like Shaun of the Dead, also adds a lot of humor to the franchise. I had the pleasure of catching
it this afternoon, and found myself laughing as much as cringing or jumping.

The story centers around Columbus (played by Jesse Eisenberg), a nerdy, phobia-ridden little undergrad whose managed to survive the zombie mayhem by coming up with a list of rules to live by when evading the undead. He is soon joined on his cross country expidition by Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson), a cocky, take-no-prisoners zombie killing machine. Things are further complicated by the arrival of the sister team of Wichita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin). While laughs, blood and gore aboud, there's also a nice dose of heart as the four survivors tackle the zombies and each other. Plus there's a great celebrity cameo during all of this. I'm not going to say who; you'll have to see for yourself.

Another thing to keep an eye out for that I'm not going to explain here: Twinkies. I had to go pick up a box of Twinkies after seeing this. Trust me, by movie's end you'll want them to.

My Verdict: A potential replacement for Shaun of the Dead as my favorite zombie movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment