Monday, September 7, 2009

What you may not know about Ricky Gervais


I didn't know this little tidbit of information until I was flipping through my new Famous magazine, and I thought I'd pass it on, just 'cause it is so surprising for those who didn't know.

See this gentleman in the picture? On the left?

That, dear readers, is Mr. Ricky Gervais!

I'm not making that up, I swear. Apparently, back in 1983, Gervais was part of a new wave pop duo called Seona Dancing (according to Famous it's pronounced SHAW-nuh Dancing) with a Mr. Bill McCrae. The name of the band came from a girl Gervais knew at University College who loved to dance.

They released a couple of singles, "More to Lose" and "Bitter Heart", in 83, and neither broke U.K.'s Top 40. The band called it quits shortly after, but Gervais spent a little more time in the music industry, managing the band Suede and working as a DJ. After that, he went on to become the comedian, actor and writer that we all know and love.

Weird, huh? Though in some ways it does make sense. Gervais has shown musical talent in his other works, like on The Office or, one of my favorites, his song "Lady" on his guest spot on The Simpsons.

So there you have it; Ricky Gervais, new waver! Just a little trivia for you. Or maybe you already know, and I'm just late to the party.

You can find the music video "Bitter Heart" on YouTube (click here). While you're there check out one of my favorite clips, an outtake of Gervais' appearance on Sesame Street, which proves that while that show is meant for kids, it's definitely run by adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment