Friday, September 4, 2009

The Blogger's Lament

I am not a fan of Perez Hilton. Not in the slightest. I think the self proclaimed Queen of all Media is a bit of a...well, I won't write it here but it rhymes with 'witch'. However, if I'm being perfectly honest, there are moments when I wish I had his life. Think about it. He doesn't work, at least not in the conventional sense. The only thing expected of this man is that he closely follow the topic he cares most about, write his posts, and people read them. Now me, being a productive member of society and working for a living, I don't have that luxury. My having a normal job puts quite a limit on how much I can keep up with my passion for pop culture.

Case in point.

The other day, as I was shutting down the computers at my library and closing up for another day I was thinking to myself; when is Mika going to put out another album? The British artist's last album, Life in Cartoon Motion, was a fantastic, bouncy, quirky bit of pop, the kind of music I really like. For those of you who may need a little memory jog, Mika sings like Freddie Mercury and his music is similar to Scissor Sisters, Robbie Williams or David Bowie. He gave us songs like "Grace Kelly", "Love Today" and "Relax, Take It Easy". But Cartoon Motion came out way back in February of 2007. The dude is way overdue for a new offering.

I wrapped up my work week just today, and after I got home I was sorting through some old magazines when I noticed a caption I hadn't read before...about a new single from Mika! I opened my laptop and got on iTunes to see if it was on there yet. Not only was it there, it's release date was posted as July, 2009. July? It's been out since July and I'm only hearing about it now? Not only that, this single is part of a whole new album that's available for pre-order. The Boy Who Knew Too Much will be released Sept. 22. That's like in two weeks! Why am I just hearing about all this now? Because I'm too busy with other things, that's why!

It's a good thing I love my job. I do love my job and I like being said productive member of society. But...every once in while...it seems like it would be nice to just pursue my passion full time. Maybe one day, when I fulfill my dream of opening a pop culture library, I can combine the two.

Until that day, go check out Mika's new single, "We Are Golden". I saw the video on youtube, and it's awesome! It may have to become my new anthem! Anyone agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment