Thursday, September 24, 2009

Album Review: The Boy Who Knew Too Much


Ahhhh, Mika's back! Happy days!

And as it turns out, the Brit pop star's new album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, is a worthy follow up to his last outing, Life in Cartoon Motion, released all the way back in 2007. Boy is a fun, frothy mix of disco, pop, vaudeville and a few other odd yet invigorating ingredients, which makes for a tasty audible treat.

I downloaded this to my iPod right on it's release date (Sept. 22), and in the last two days I don't know how many times I've listened to the opening track and first single "We Are Golden". Like I mentioned in a previous post it has become my most current anthem. It's the kind of song that you sing along to at the top of your lungs while jumping around in your underwear (which, by the way, is what Mika does in the music video). A sample of the uplifting lyrics:

"Teenage dreams, in a teenage circus
Running around like a clown on purpose.
Who gives a damn about the family you come from?
No giving up when you're young and you want some!" (Awesome!)

But there's plenty more to this album. You can clap along to "Blame it on the Girls". "Rain" has a baseline that made my car mirrors vibrate nicely. "Dr. John" reminded me of the Beatles. Then down near the end of the album you have the 1940's nightclub feel of "Pick Up Off The Floor" and "Lady Jane" (though "Lady Jane" had some pretty trippy lyrics).

My Verdict: Boy was well worth the wait and a brilliant second helping of a talented artist. Hopefully there'll be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment