Thursday, September 3, 2009

Michael Jackson Funeral Today - A Few Thoughts

As I'm typing this, reports are coming in about Michael Jackson's funeral today. The King of Pop will be interred in the Great Mausoleum in Glendale, California, and from the looks of things it will be a private, somber service, a chance for family and close friends to say their goodbyes.

Even though this is the final step for Jackson, I think it's safe to say the media circus his death has caused isn't over just yet. Now that Jackson's death has been ruled a homicide there could be more news reports, more specials, more developments, perhaps even a trial. (I have to say I am surprised about the ruling on the cause of death. Overwork, an accidental overdose or his body just giving out after years of abuse made far more convincing reasons for Jackson's untimely demise.)

His passing may become one of those moments where you remember where you were when you heard the news. For me, I was at work, on the reference desk, when I got the news through an email from my roommate/co-worker John. I checked cnn.com real quick, and at first they were only reporting that Jackson was in a coma, but eventually it was confirmed that he had in fact passed away. Then the nonstop news coverage began and his music videos played continuously on music channels (I had no idea until then that Martin Scorsese directed the "Bad" video; that's just...true). Though I had mixed feelings about it, I knew that this was a moment in history; how could it not be?

My mixed feelings stem from the fact that you simply cannot reconcile the two people Michael Jackson had become by that point in his life. There's Michael Jackson the icon; the entertainer and innovator. The man who no one could touch during the 80s. The man who could dance and sing like no one else. The man who brought us Thriller, one of the greatest albums/songs/music videos ever. The man who pretty much reinvented the music video, who gave us the moonwalk and the sequined glove and other pop symbols, who was just...Michael Jackson!

But then there's also Whacko Jacko, the man who's bizarre personal life, slumping album sales and drastic changes to his appearance just defied explanation. The man who hung out with chimpanzees, who built a whole freaking amusement park in his back yard, who went on lavish shopping sprees and who made his children wear masks. The man who altered his appearance with plastic surgery to the point that he no longer looked African-American...hell, who didn't even look human anymore. The man who was accused not once but twice of a crime so heinous I don't even want to type it. Who abused pain killers, who tried to blame his record company after his album didn't sell well by claiming they were racist. The list goes on. You couldn't make any of this up, no one would believe it.

Lately what I've been hearing is the good side of Jackson and I think that's what his fans would like to remember; his musical genius and the positive impact he made on the entertainment world. Perhaps now that he's dead the strange and possibly criminal side of him doesn't matter anymore. I don't know. But I do know that even in death the man continues to fascinate us and to perplex us. I wonder if we will ever get the full picture of who he was...maybe even he didn't know by that point.

If his death was the result of murder, then hopefully those responsible will be brought to justice. In the meantime, as Mr. Jackson makes his way to his final resting place, I hope it will be a peaceful rest for him...even if his legacy isn't so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment