Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting my Muggle on at the Harry Potter Exhibition


What is the technical term for a Harry Potter fan? Pottermaniac? Muggle? Wanna-be-Wizard? Personally, I like Potterphile. It has a literary feel to it.

Such was one of the many questions that came up as I, my mother and my brother's girlfriend made our way to the Ontario Science Centre to check out Harry Potter: The Exhibition. This limited engagement special exhibit boasts props, sets and costumes from the movies for all fans. No way I was passing this up. I even wore my blazer with the ironed-on Hogwarts crest on the back I made for a HP program at work.

My mother is another fan. My brother's girlfriend had seen a couple of the movies, but that was the extent of her interactions with Harry. I was determined to convert her, but whether I succeeded or not has yet to be seen.

The centre itself is an amazing building. Several different levels with lots of different exhibits to challenge the mind and educate the masses. It also has an interactive quality to it, which really engages kids. Through the afternoon we checked out a rain forest, did a water test, saw a tornado machine and everything you could want to know about the human body. But who wants to hear about that? Lets get to Harry!

There was quite a lot more to the Exhibition than just some displays. Some lovely English-accented employees brought a group of us to the first part, a room with a sorting hat. After our guide asked for volunteers and nobody rushed up both of my companions started pushing me towards the stage. So I sat, in front of everybody with the lights bearing down on me, and was asked which house I like best. Griffindor, natch. The guide placed the hat just above my head and the hats voice spoke out over the speakers. Guess which house I was sorted into? Griffindor! Clearly I'm a natural fit for that house, and the guide definetly did not have a switch or something under her robe. I mean, the other two people who went after me and were sorted into their houses of choice did not mean there was any trickery involved. Right? Lets say it was just magic and leave it at that.

Then we were ushered into a circular room with a bunch of screens, which then played clips from the movies. Then, one of the coolest parts: a side door opened, revealing a lifesize steaming Hogwarts express, and a wizard with a lantern to usher us in. So cool! Just like arriving a the platform to Hogwarts.

The displays themselves were divided into different aspects of the Potter universe. The first part was the student dormitories and classrooms. The attention to detail with each prop and costume was a sight to behold. And we got to pull Mandrake's out of their pots and hear their screeching sounds.

Next we went on to every wizard's favorite sport. These displays included player uniforms for the Irish and Bulgarian teams, as well as for the school houses. I got to explain the finer points of Quidditch to my brother's girlfriend and throw quaffle's at rings. Also we got to look through Hagrid's hut and sit in his big chair. And see a hippogriff up close.

There was also a section for dark magic, with props like that giant freaky skeleton grave stone from The Goblet of Fire and Voldemort's robes which were fluttering in a breeze. "Have You Seen This Wizard" posters hung all over, featuring the worst of the worst in the wizarding world. Also hanging along with them were citations from the Ministry of Magic reminding all about constant vigilance in the fight against dark forces. It's that attention to detail that really made the exhibit so memeorable.

We then saw delectable treats and beautiful gowns in the Great Hall (complete with floating candles). A set of portraits applauded us as we finished the tour.

And of course, there was a gift shop as we left. It had some wonderful things to buy, including some collectable items that were way out of my price range. In the end I bought a necklace with the Hogwarts crest as a souvenir, which I think suits me just fine.

The exhibit is on until August, so go check it out. There is so much more to see than I've written about here. I may have to see it all one more time before the summer's out. Here's a concept drawing below to give you an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment