Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My new musical obsession with Girls Aloud


So I've discovered a new band that I'm totally in love with. Well I should say it's a band that's new to me, as they've actually been around for a while. It's Britain's own Girls Aloud, and their upbeat dance tracks have been playing non-stop on my iPod.

You see, there was a time in this media-head's life where she was enraptured with another five girl British group called the Spice Girls. And since then, I've been looking for another girl group to fill the void. But who? All Saints? They had some good songs, but they didn't have the charisma of the Spice Girls. The Pussycat Dolls? Again, some good tracks but they're not really a girl group; more like one singer and a bunch of back-up dancers. Plus, the message they pose to young girls is questionable.

A while back I was flipping through an old issue of UK's Cosmopolitan and saw a page on Girls Aloud (they were named the Ultimate Fun Fearless Females in that issue). I was intrigued. Who was this supergroup our friends across the Atlantic had been enjoying since 2002? Going to iTunes and sampling a few tracks I downloaded their take on "I Think We're Alone Now". It's played on the iPod for a while, but this last week I thought to myself 'maybe I ought to check out some more songs'.

Boy, am I glad I did. I've gotten to know Cheryl, Nicola, Kimberley, Sarah and Nadine a little better, and what I've discovered through YouTube and downloaded tracks is just how freakin' catchy their songs are. Some are remakes, many of them are original tracks, and almost every one I've heard is really cool. So far I've downloaded "Long Hot Summer", "Swinging London Town" and "Racey Lacey" from their album Chemistry, and "Sound of the Underground", "Love Machine", "Jump" and "I Think We're Alone Now" from Sounds of Girls Aloud. I also got "Something Kind of Ooohhh" from the Run Fat Boy Run sound track. I've been humming them around work, which has probably been annoying the heck out of my co-workers.

You know what the weirdest part about the success of Girls Aloud is? The group actually started out on a reality show? They're from Popstars: The Rivals. Can you believe it? They're actually in the Guinness World Records as the most successful band to come out of reality programming.

So if you're looking for something new, check them out. You can find their videos on YouTube, or try their website. Cheers dears.

No comments:

Post a Comment