Saturday, April 24, 2010

Looks like a bright, gorgeous summer...for movies!


My EW Summer Movie Preview arrived in the mail. So now not only do I have warm weather and good times to look forward to, I have a whole list of movies to check out in a darkened, air-conditioned theatre. How could I be so lucky?

You see, fall and winter is when studios trot out their Oscar fair. Spring and summer is when they cut loose and air the high-action, loads of fun flicks that get people abuzz. And it looks like this year is no exception. Here is a list of the summer movies I can't wait to see, in chronological order by release date.

Iron Man 2 (May 7): This is one of the big ones on my list. The first movie was so brilliant, everything a comic book movie should be. If the trailers are any indication, the sequel seems to follow the same formula. Plus, we get War Machine this time! He's like Iron Man, but with a whole lot of machine guns!

Shrek Forever After (May 14): As much as I love the first three movies, I do worry that this franchise may be getting tired. But you know I'll be in line to buy a ticket regardless. The sight of a chubby Puss in Boots is too good to pass up.

MacGruber (May 21): I'm on the fence about this. Movies based on SNL sketches are really hit and miss. I'll have to see how the reviews go. But I love the sketch, so as long as they don't royally screw it up it should be at least a little fun.

Sex and the City 2 (May 27th): I admit I was surprised when this project was announced, seeing as how I thought the first S&C movie tied things up so nicely. But how can you not be excited by another outing with Carrie and the gals? Fashion and girly things galore!

Get Him To The Greek (June 4): I admit I have a thing for Russel Brand. Weird I know, but it's true. This is a sequel of sorts to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and made by the same people. It looks like a comedy of rock & roll proportions.

The A-Team (June 11): Funny enough, having never seen the original TV show, this offering wasn't on my radar at all...until I saw the trailer for it. Now it's near the top of my list. It's looks like high-octane action. Besides, Bradley Cooper is freakin' hot. His abs have a nice moment in the trailer.

Toy Story 3 (June 18): It's been eleven years since the first sequel, and that fact does absolutely nothing to diminish the excitement. It's Toy Story for God's sake! Buzz and Woody and the gang! You know it's going to be fantastic no matter how much time has passed.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (July 16): Another movie I wasn't all that interested in until I came across the trailer. Such is the power of a good trailer. I'm thinking this could be a good little fantasy flick.

Dinner for Schmucks (July 23): 'Cause Carrel & Rudd, together again. I actually don't know that much more about it, but Carrel and Rudd, people!

So there's the short list. Films may be added or removed depending on buzz, reviews and my interest level. I can assure you, however, that I will be avoiding Twilight: Eclipse like the plague regardless of buzz or reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment