Monday, January 18, 2010

Golden Globes keep on turning


So the Golden Globes have come and gone, officially kicking off this year's Award Season. And with them came all the typical glitz and glamour one tends to expect from a big Hollywood ceremony.

You see, I'm more of an Oscar girl myself. But I do have a soft spot for the Globes. It's the only big awards show that combines film and television into one three-hour event.

In that regard, I was rather disappointed with this year's ceremony. I mean, the show itself was fine. Ricky Gervais was a good host, though some of his comments were clearly meant for shock value. Martin Scorsese was given the Cecil B. Demille award in a touching tribute. And there were plenty of fashion choices to ponder or admire, and touching speeches.

No, the disappointing part came when none of my favorites were winning. Hugh Laurie lost to Michael C. Hall. Mad Men beat out House and True Blood. The nominated cast members of Glee lost. Avatar won best dramatic movie. It just was not going my way.

But it wasn't a total loss. I was surprised when The Hangover won for best movie, comedy or musical. I haven't seen it yet but from what I hear it's the kind of film that doesn't win awards, so I was pleased to see a flick like that get recognition.

What made me happiest, however, were two big moments. Glee won best TV series, comedy or musical. Damn right. And Robert Downey Jr. won a Globe for his portrayal as Sherlock Holmes. Yay! I especially liked his statement as he got on stage "If you try to play me off I will tear this place apart!"

So, ups and downs, but still enjoyable. But for God's sake, let's bring on the Oscars!

No comments:

Post a Comment