Thursday, July 1, 2010

Movie Review: Toy Story 3


First of all, Happy Canada Day! May the maple leaf wave forever and all her loyal citizens sport red and white with pride. So how did I choose to spend this special day? By going to see a movie, natch.

Yeah, so Toy Story 3...11 years in the making and the latest chapter in the ground-breaking, hugely beloved series, we finally got to see Woody, Buzz and the whole gang back for another adventure. You know what? The damn film was amazing, but it made me freakin' cry. Not just getting me misty eyed, but full-blown tears rolling down my face. And like with Up, another Disney/Pixar masterpiece, I was glad I was wearing 3D glasses so no one could see my red watery eyes.

But it wasn't just a few scenes that touched me. The movie as a whole gave me a rollercoster of emotions. I'm still reeling as I write this, several hours after the fact. The plot hits on several themes of growing-up and changing lives as the toys deal with their owner Andy getting ready to move to college. With the gang worrying that they're going to be thrown away they wind up at a daycare, one where the kids play too rough and things aren't at all what they seem. We're introduced to new toys, treated to a lot of action, all in the complete CGI 3D treatment, and the lingering question: Does Andy still care about his toys, and if not what will happen to them now?

I was really shocked by how dark some of the scenes were. The first two movies had their unsettling moments as well, but 3 took it to an unprecedented level. I was sure some young kids in the movie would be bawling not from the touching scenes, but from the scary ones, though thankfully I heard no terrified kid sounds as I watched. There were some funny moments as well, and some lighter ones. I loved seeing Ken and Barbie together. The film's ending surprised me, but I felt that it was appropriate, and met the whole theme of Andy's childhood ending and the transitions that brings, and for things coming full-circle for the toys themselves.

My Verdict: A very deep, moving film that I think resonates more with adults than with kids, and satisfyingly completes the saga for these very special characters. One of the best movies I've seen all year.

Now, as a special Canada Day bonus, check out this link on cracked.com entitled 15 Reasons Canada is better than your country. Bonne fete du Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment