Monday, February 15, 2010

The Wonderful World of Disney (World)


I've come to the conclusion that Disney World really is the happiest place on earth. Don't agree? Then I'm guessing you haven't had the chance to visit there yet, have you?

I just got back from Florida, and I made it a point to visit said-happiest place on earth. I considered other theme parks, because Orlando is known for many tourist destinations, but really, how could I choose anything other than the Mouse House? So I drove the hour and a half north from Avon Park where I was staying with my Grandmother, to the vast expanse of area that Disney's four Florida theme parks take up to make it there in time for the parks to open.

Two days I spent wandering around two different parks. Day one was the Magic Kingdom. You gotta go to the Magic Kingdom. It's not a Disney trip if you don't. MK is the heart of what Disney is all about, where you can find a hodgepodge of the different characters, locales and history that make Disney so special. I was so excited when I pulled up in the parking lot. It may have been like my fourth visit there, but I was still excited. And even the rain that came late in the morning and stayed until early evening when I left to head back to Avon Park did not squelch the excitement. Sure, I missed out on a few live shows because of weather, but there were so many things to see indoors. I did all my favorites, from Pirates of the Caribbean to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to Space Mountain to the Philharmagic to the Jungle Cruise to the Haunted Mansion. I tried some new things as well (or at least attractions I don't remember doing as a kid), like the Hall of Presidents, which was not at all what I expected; it was much classier and less corny than I anticipated. I did Cinderella's carousel and the Spinning Tea Cups too, and other fun activities. I did some shopping to keep out of the rain. They still had a parade, though it was the Rainy Day Character Cavalcade instead, with performers in coordinating rain gear and the characters in covered vehicles. I left the park that evening with a merry heart, wet jeans and a container of Wonderland Tea. The Mad Tea Party blend. Sweet!

Day two was spent at the Animal Kingdom, the only Disney World park I had not yet visited, as it was not finished when I was there as a kid and last year Hollywood Studios won out instead. I was surprised how much I loved Animal Kingdom. Even the unprecedented chill in the air didn't damper things (weather has no power over Disney, people!) I love animals, so I knew I'd enjoy that, and the park has a very strong focus on conservation, which is great in this day and age, but there was so much more to see. Live shows from The Lion King and Finding Nemo, a 3D movie with the characters from A Bugs Life, rides, a parade and, of course, animals, including some gorgeous tigers, big gorillas, monkeys, lions. They even have a safari you can go on. But my favorite, absolute favorite attraction was Expedition Everest, a full throttle roller coaster that takes you forwards, backwards and downwards in a huge drop as you fly through a man made Mt. Everest and escape the Yeti! I went on that ride not once, not twice, but three times! If the park hadn't closed right at 6pm, I may have gone for a fourth. But it did, and as we were ushered out to the trolley's that would take us to the parking lot I made sure to take one last look at the Tree of Life, Animal Kingdom's major landmark that needs to be seen to be believed.

I had a great time with my Grandma as well, so it was a great few days down south overall. I wore my Team Canada hoodie, and saw quite a few tourists at the parks do the same. I'm already wondering if I can make it back down there for next year. While the new Harry Potter park will be open by then and will likely compete for my attention, Disney World will always have a place in my heart. If you haven't seen it yet add the trip to your list, even if you're not much of a Disney fan. There's something for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment