Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oscar Nominess and the Big 10


The nominations are out! Yay! Oscar Season, one of my favorite times of the year, people!

You know what I've realized, though? I really have not watched enough movies this year.

The 2010 Academy Award nominees have been announced, including ten picks for Best Picture, which has not been done since 1943. And as I glance over the selected films, I realize that I have not seen many of the nominees. That can't be good. In fact, the only Best Picture nominee I have seen is Up (which, by the way, is only the second animated movie to be nominated for Best Picture). I do like that two, count 'em, two sci fi films are also in that category. The Academy has a major bias towards sci fi. But, as I've said, I have seen neither.

Overall though, I'm not sure how to feel about having 10 in the Best Picture category. Sure, it allows for more audience-friendly fare, but it kind of cuts back on the prestige of the nomination. Plus, it'll make it that much harder to try to catch up in my movie watching over the next few weeks. But there are some BP noms that I will not watch. Precious being one (the subject matter is too brutal). The Blind Side and The Hurt Locker are others (not interested). I'm also still holding out on Avatar. Like Titanic, I may end up being one of the few people who has not seen it, and that's okay with me, because I'm just not keen on it. Some of you probably think I'm nuts, but I did not get where I am today by being a slave to what's popular, thank you very much.

But I like the Best Animated Film selections, some fine individuals have been nominated in general, and with Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin hosting it should be a good show. What do you think? Any nominees surprise you, delight you or outrage you? Check them out here and let me know.

Now, I need a theatre and stat!

No comments:

Post a Comment