Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Movie Review: The Princess and the Frog


Ahhh, traditional Disney animation, something you don't see too often these days, what with computer animation being so dominant. Good Lord, I sound old right there, but who cares? It's my blog. I grew up during something of a golden age in Disney animation with movies like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, so I was excited when I head the Mouse House was releasing a return to form after a long stretch of Pixar movies (not that I'm complaining about those).

As far as The Princess and the Frog goes, let me cut to the chase: loved it, loved everything about it. I saw it the first day it was widely released, and it met every expectation I could've possibly had.

The animation was rich and lush, an explosion of color bringing New Orleans and the Bayou to life. Original songs by Randy Newman had me humming for days afterwards. The characters were memorable, be they lovable (Ray the love sick firefly) or menacing (Doctor Facilier, the Voodoo witch doctor with some real malice behind him) and a great cast to bring them to life, like Anika Noni Rose as Tiana...sigh.
It was very much like the movies I loved as a kid, but this film somehow seemed more adult to me. Not only did Tiana have to work to buy her own restaurant (starting her own business...not a plot point generally seen in a kids movie), it also tackled issues like the difference between what you want and what you need, which is a big concept for someone young to grasp.
My verdict: Go see it. Now! Never mind it's a "kids" movie, go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment